The best wood planer for a small shop is a tool that can help you quickly and accurately shape and smooth wood surfaces. It is designed to work with a variety of materials, from softwoods to hardwoods and even composite boards. It is a versatile tool that can save you time and money when it comes to creating the perfect finish for your projects. The best wood planer for a small shop should be easy to use, durable, and powerful enough to tackle most tasks.With so many wood planer for small shop brands on the market like Shop Fox, WEN, DEWALT, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Shop Fox W1877 13″ Portable Planer with Spira
- Motor: 2HP, 120V, single-phase, 15A
- Maximum stock width: 13 in.
- Maximum stock thickness: 6 in.
- Maximum cutting depth: 1/8 in.
- Cutterhead type: spiral-style with 26 inserts
- Cutterhead speed: 10,000 RPM
- Feed rate: 26 FPM
- Table size with extensions: 13 in. x 33-1/4 in.
- Dust port size: 4 in. with 2-1/2 in. adapter included
- Carbide insert size: 14mm x 14mm x 2mm
2. Shop Fox W1863-15″ 3 HP Planer with Helical C
- Helical cutterhead with triple V-belt drive
- 2-speed chain-driven automatic feed rollers
- Hardened anti-kickback fingers
- Precision-ground cast-iron table and extension wings
- Locking table
3. WEN PL1252 15-Amp 12.5-Inch Two-Blade Benchto
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 12.5 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 20,000 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
- Includes two reversible 12.5-inch SK5 blades (model BP122K)
- Adjust the depth of anywhere from 0 to 1/8 of an inch with each pass
4. WEN PL1326 15-Amp 13-Inch Spiral Benchtop Thi
- Spiral cutterhead utilizes 26 staggered and rotatable HSS blades for a clean, smooth finish
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 13 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 10,000 RPM at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
5. DEWALT Planer, Thickness Planer, 13-Inch, 3 K
- Powerful 15-AMP, 20,000 RPM motor (10,000 RPM cutterhead speed) handles larger cuts in wider materials with ease
- Three knife cutter-head delivers 30-percent longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier
- Two speed gear box allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Fan-assisted chip ejection vacuums chips off of the cutter-head and exhausts them out of the machine
Best wood planer for small shop Buying guide
When it comes to purchasing a wood planer for a small shop, there are a few key factors to consider. First, consider the size of the planer. Smaller planers tend to be less powerful and are better suited for smaller projects. Larger planers are better for larger, more complex projects. Secondly, consider the different types of blades available. Some planers come with blades that are better suited for specific types of wood, while others are designed to work with any type of wood. Additionally, consider the cost of the planer. If you are on a budget, look for a planer that is within your price range. Finally, consider the features of the planer. Look for a planer that has a variety of features, such as adjustable depth, depth stops, and a dust collection system, which will make your job easier and more efficient. With these factors in mind, you should be able to find the perfect wood planer for your small shop.