The best portable wood planer is a great tool for any woodworking project. It allows you to quickly and accurately create smooth edges, level surfaces, and even create intricate designs. It is a powerful and versatile tool that can help you to make professional-looking projects with ease. The best portable wood planers are easy to use and can provide you with great results.With so many portable wood planer brands on the market like Makita, Shop Fox, Delta, POWERTEC, Granberg, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Makita 2012NB 12″ Portable Planer
- Compact with less weight for easy transporting to the jobsite
- Engineered for faster, easier blade changes
- Low noise (83dB) for operator comfort
- 4-post design and diagonal cross supports for stability
- Large table extensions to support the workpiece
- Compact and lightweight for easy transporting to the job site
- Fastest and easiest blade change system on the market; uses disposable double edge blades
- Quietest (83dB) planer in its class
2. Shop Fox W1877 13″ Portable Planer with Spira
- Motor: 2HP, 120V, single-phase, 15A
- Maximum stock width: 13 in.
- Maximum stock thickness: 6 in.
- Maximum cutting depth: 1/8 in.
- Cutterhead type: spiral-style with 26 inserts
- Cutterhead speed: 10,000 RPM
- Feed rate: 26 FPM
- Table size with extensions: 13 in. x 33-1/4 in.
- Dust port size: 4 in. with 2-1/2 in. adapter included
- Carbide insert size: 14mm x 14mm x 2mm
3. Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thick
- Powerful 15A motor capable of handling the most demanding jobs
- Four column design provides excellent stability for smooth, accurate planning
- Quick-change knife system with dual edge disposable knives lets you change knives without difficult to use alignment jigs
- Adjustable infeed and outfeed tables to better support long pieces and reduce snipe
- Reversible dust port allows you to collect chips from the right or left side of planer.Machine Dimensions: 21-5/8 x 23-5/8 x 20-1/8 inches
- Two polyurethane feed rollers for a no-slip grip on the workpiece; positioned close to the cutterhead to improve workpiece finish
4. POWERTEC PL1252 15 Amp 2-Blade Benchtop Thick
- FUNCTION: This portable thickness planer serves as an essential tool and workhorse for a wide range of professional and DIY woodworking projects – specifically designed to repurpose wood (old, weathered and worn wood), while giving it an extraordinarily smooth finish
- EFFECTIVE: Has a heavy duty, anti-wobble base that’s ultra sturdy – providing a non-marring benchtop planer surface that will support an assortment of plane boards up to 12.5” wide and 6” thick
- POWERFUL: Combines an impressive 15 amp motor with an innovative 2 blade cutting system that delivers deep cuts into your hard woods (raw oak, pallet wood, walnut lumber) and more
- QUICK: A stainless steel precision cutter head allows this planer to deliver over 18,800 cuts per minute with a 9,400 RPM
- PRODUCT WARRANTY: Includes a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty for quality assurance
5. Granberg Chainsaw Alaskan Sawmill MKIV, G778-
- DIY CHAINSAW MILL – Enables user to mill lumber where the tree falls. No previous experience required! Does not come with chainsaw. Instruction manual & assembly hardware included. Clamps onto your chainsaw bar, no drilling required
- UP TO 48″ CHAINSAW BAR LENGTH – Up to a 32″ cutting width to accurately help mill planks up to 32″ wide and 1/2″ to 13″ deep. Truly straight and even cuts, everytime. 70cc minimum requirement; no maximum.
- AIRCRAFT ALUMINUM EXTRUSION & ZINC PLATED STEEL – Crafted with high-quality USA made aerospace aluminum extrusion and zinc-plated steel to give it a long lasting life-span. CNC-Machined billet end brackets.
- PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA – All Granberg mills are very proudly both made and assembled in America. We are a family-owned and run business that use our own products. We are passionate about what we make. Granberg has all your milling needs.
- SUPPORT AND ADVICE AVAILABLE – Whether you’re a professional arbosrist, weekend hobbyist, or new wood worker; we have videos available to show you how to use Granberg products. Our support team are experts in their craft and can help you out.
Best portable wood planer Buying guide
If you’re looking for a wood planer that’s easy to transport and store, a portable wood planer is the perfect choice. Here are some features to consider when shopping for a portable wood planer:
Power: Look for a portable wood planer with enough power to handle tough jobs. Consider the size of the engine, the torque and the maximum cutting depth.
Weight: Choose a lightweight model so you can easily move it around your workshop.
Size: Make sure the wood planer you choose is compact enough to fit in a small space.
Cutting Quality: Look for a planer that delivers smooth, even cuts with minimal tear-out.
Ease of Use: Choose a model that’s easy to operate, with adjustable speed settings and a comfortable handle.
Noise Level: Look for a model that produces minimal noise, so you can work without disturbing others.
Price: Compare prices to find a portable wood planer that fits your budget.