The best sander for stripping a deck is a heavy-duty orbital sander. This type of sander is designed to remove paint, varnish, and other finishes quickly and efficiently. It is designed to provide a smooth finish with minimal dust production and minimal risk of damage to the underlying wood or other surface material. With the right accessories, an orbital sander can make quick work of stripping a deck and leave it looking like new.With so many sander for stripping deck brands on the market like Makita, BLACK+DECKER, Ingersoll Rand, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Makita 9403 4″ x 24″ Belt Sander, Teal
- Low noise (84dB) for operator comfort
- 4″ wide belt with a speed of 1,640 ft./min. for fast material removal
- Labyrinth construction seals and protects motor and bearings from dust and debris for longer tool life
- Large front grip is positioned for operator comfort
- Innovative design for sanding flush to wall with nose and side of sander
2. BLACK+DECKER Detail Sander, 1.2 Amp, 16,000 O
- COMPACT DESIGN – Allows access to cramped corners and tight spaces.
- POWERFUL MOTOR – 1.2 Amp motor supplies 16,000 orbits per minute for fast and thorough material removal.
- DETAIL FINGER ATTACHMENT – Interchangeable attachment allows access to hard-to-reach spots.
- DUST COLLECTION CANISTER – High-performance system with micro-filtration keeps your worksurface clean with less sawdust and debris.
- 3-POSITION GRIP – For added versatility and control. POWERFUL MOTOR – 1.2 Amp motor supplies 16, orbits per minute for fast and thorough material removal.
- HOOK-AND-LOOP SYSTEM – Makes changing sandpaper fast and easy.
- CORDED – Corded design offers unlimited runtime for even the biggest jobs.
- INCLUDES –(1) BDEMS600 sander, (1) detail finger attachment.
3. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Orbital Sander, Cordless
- FAST MATERIAL REMOVAL – At 12,000 opm (oscillations per minute), the random orbital sander quickly clears away materials like paint, stain, and varnish.
- COMPACT, EASY-TO-MANEUVER DESIGN – Compact and helps reduce muscle fatigue.
- HOOK-AND-LOOP SYSTEM – For convenient sandpaper changing.
- ON-BOARD DUST COLLECTION – Easy-empty dust bag keeps your work area cleaner and improves visibility of the work surface.
- 20V MAX* LITHIUM ION BATTERY – Holds a charge for up to 18 months.
- INCLUDES – (1) BDERO20 random orbit sander, (1) 20V MAX* 1.5Ah lithium ion battery, (1) charger, (2) 5 in. round sandpaper sheets.
4. BLACK+DECKER Orbital Sander, 5 Inch, 2.0 Amp,
- HIGH PERFORMANCE ORBIT SANDER – 2.0 Amp corded electric random orbit sander for a swirl-free finish
- HIGH EFFICIENCY – Delivers 12000 OPM (orbits per minute) to quickly sand material
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT – Fits in tight spaces for more versatile sanding
- DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM – Keep your workspace free of dust and debris with a built-in dust collection bag
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE – Work comfortably and with less fatigue thanks to the comfort grip handle
5. Ingersoll Rand 328B 8” Air Geared Orbital San
- SWIRL FREE FINISH: The smooth strength and power of the IR 328B Air Geared Sander lets you remove heavy material and body filler on large, flat surfaces, leaving a clean, swirl-free finish
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Every detail of the tool is shaped to fit your hand perfectly and the lever throttle takes pressure off of your palm
- LOW VIBRATION: With a low vibration performance, this sander is designed to perform at top condition without wearing out the user
- PRECISION plus CONTROL: With variable speed and a dual-action pad motion xa0(5/32″ orbit), you’ll have full control of your power tool’s performance
- LIGHTWEIGHT: Sander weighs only 4.7 lbs, so you can work comfortably and get more done without sacrificing quality
Best sander for stripping deck Buying guide
When choosing the best sander for stripping a deck, you should consider the type of sander, the size of the job, and the speed of the sander.
For deck stripping, a random orbital, belt, or palm sander is best. Random orbital sanders are great for general sanding of large areas, while belt sanders are great for quickly removing material and sanding along edges. Palm sanders are best for smaller, detailed jobs.
The size of the job should also be considered when choosing a sander. If the deck is large, a belt sander may be the best choice. For smaller areas, a palm sander is great.
Finally, the speed of the sander is important. In general, higher speeds are better for larger areas, while lower speeds are better for smaller areas and more detailed work.
When choosing a sander, it is important to consider the type of sander, the size of the job, and the speed of the sander. With this information in mind, you can choose the best sander for your deck stripping job.