If you’re looking for the best sandpaper for your drum sander, you’re in the right place. Whether you are looking for a sandpaper to tackle a small project or a heavy-duty, long-lasting paper for a major project, there are plenty of options available. The most important factor when choosing the best sandpaper for a drum sander is to consider the type of material you’ll be sanding as well as the grit size you need. Different types of sandpaper are designed for specific applications, and the right sandpaper can help you achieve the desired finish.With so many sandpaper for drum sander brands on the market like Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Renegade Products, Virginia Abrasives, Red Label Abrasives, SuperMax Tools, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Performax Type Ready-to-Cut Ready-to-Wrap Abr
- Made from heavy duty cloth backing our abrasive rolls are the perfect economical replacement sandpaper rolls for your Performax and Jet 16-32 and other machinery that accepts 3” wide rolls. These high performance aluminum oxide rolls are designed for all purpose sanding. The grain is resin bonded and have non-loading properties for extra long sanding life. MADE IN THE USA!
- The rougher or lower grits like 60 grit can be used for abrasive planing and dimensioning. The medium grits like 80, 100 and 120 are typically can be used for lighter dimensioning projects and general surface prep. When using 150 grits and 220 grits we recommend using those higher grits for finishing passes only.
- The right amount of pressure you exert on your boards is absolutely critical. Too much and it will shorten the life of your abrasive roll, burn the material or cause problems with the motor on your machinery. To avoid too much pressure, with your machine turned off, place the material under the sanding drum, the raise or lower the drum so the drum contacts the material but can still be rotated by hand. Take the stock out with no more drum adjustment and proceed to sanding normally.
- Straight feed? How about angling your stock feed through the drum instead. Angling the stock offers many advantages like less loading due to glue lines, better and more even wear and reduced motor loads. Just a slight angle provides you with more effective stock removal. Keep in mind that to achieve the best finish, the last two passes on the material should always be with the grain.
- When sanding misshapen stock pieces you should always start sanding the piece with the crown side up. This helps prevent tipping or rocking when the piece is being fed through the sander. Once the down is gone, flip the stock over and sand the other side. As always, take extreme care and caution when sanding boards that are bowed, twisted or otherwise imperfect.
2. Drum Sander Sandpaper Roll 3″ X 25 Yards Prem
- CAN GET UP TO 20 WRAPS! – Depending on your drum size you can get up to 18 wraps with our sandpaper roll! These are PREMIUM rolls that are 25 yards in length that can be cut to save you the most amount of money and give you the most amount of sanding time possible!
- HEAVY DUTY – This roll is made with a heavy duty polyester X-weight backing that can be used for any metal or woodworking application!
- MADE IN ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA – Our drum sander rolls are made in Anaheim, California and are proud to be american made!
- LONG LIFE – Our material uses an ultra premium heat treated aluminum oxide grain that can withstand more pressure, heat and grinding than any other abrasive out there. This is heavy duty and meant to last for your woodworking or metal working application!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – We guarantee you will love the quality of our abrasive rolls or your money back!!!
3. Floor Drum Sander Sandpaper, 8 Inch by 20-1/8
- Hardwood Floor Drum Sander Sandpaper – 8″ by 20-1/8″ Sheets
- Aluminum Oxide Sanding Grit
- Heavy-Duty Paper
- Made in the USA
- Project Pack Box of 50 Sheets
4. Red Label Abrasives 3 Inch X 50 Foot 120 Grit
- Precision cut to fit hook and loop drum sanders requiring 3″ sanding strips
- Loop (felt) backing | Premium Red Aluminum Oxide (A/O) Grain | Heavy X-weight poly/cotton cloth backing | Resin Over Resin Bonding
5. SUPERMAX TOOLS Drum Sander with Closed Mobile
- Maximum width (in): 50 (two passes)
- Minimum length (in): 2-1/4
- Maximum thickness (in): 4
- Minimum thickness (in): 1/32
- Dimensions (in): 27D x 46W x 53H (on stand)
- Drum: 5 x 25 extruded aluminum
- Drum speed: 1740 RPM
- Dust hood: 1- 4″ vacuum port, min. 600 CFM recommended
- Conveyor motor: 43 in. -Lb. Torque, direct drive D. C. Motor, ranged variable 0-10 FPM
- Drive motor (TEFC): 1-3/4 HP
Best sandpaper for drum sander Buying guide
When looking for the best sandpaper for a drum sander, the most important thing to consider is the grit size. A higher grit size will provide a smoother finish, while a lower grit size will provide a more aggressive sanding. Additionally, it is important to consider the type of material you are sanding, as some sandpapers are better suited for softer materials than others. Once you have considered the grit size and type of material, you should look at the type of backing that the sandpaper has. Generally, sandpapers with a heavier backing will last longer and provide more consistent results. Finally, you should consider the brand of the sandpaper, as some brands offer higher quality and longer lasting sandpapers than others.