A portable thickness planer is a type of power tool used to precisely reduce the thickness of various types of wood. It is designed to provide a smooth surface finish and accurate thickness control. Portable planers can be used to form and shape wood, create custom components, or create a perfect surface finish on a variety of projects. Portable thickness planers are typically light, compact, and powerful enough to get the job done quickly and efficiently.With so many portable thickness planer brands on the market like Delta, Shop Fox, WEN, Makita, POWERTEC, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thick
- Powerful 15A motor capable of handling the most demanding jobs
- Four column design provides excellent stability for smooth, accurate planning
- Quick-change knife system with dual edge disposable knives lets you change knives without difficult to use alignment jigs
- Adjustable infeed and outfeed tables to better support long pieces and reduce snipe
- Reversible dust port allows you to collect chips from the right or left side of planer.Machine Dimensions: 21-5/8 x 23-5/8 x 20-1/8 inches
- Two polyurethane feed rollers for a no-slip grip on the workpiece; positioned close to the cutterhead to improve workpiece finish
2. Shop Fox W1877 13″ Portable Planer with Spira
- Motor: 2HP, 120V, single-phase, 15A
- Maximum stock width: 13 in.
- Maximum stock thickness: 6 in.
- Maximum cutting depth: 1/8 in.
- Cutterhead type: spiral-style with 26 inserts
- Cutterhead speed: 10,000 RPM
- Feed rate: 26 FPM
- Table size with extensions: 13 in. x 33-1/4 in.
- Dust port size: 4 in. with 2-1/2 in. adapter included
- Carbide insert size: 14mm x 14mm x 2mm
3. WEN PL1326 15-Amp 13-Inch Spiral Benchtop Thi
- Spiral cutterhead utilizes 26 staggered and rotatable HSS blades for a clean, smooth finish
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 13 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 10,000 RPM at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
4. Makita 2012NB 12″ Portable Planer
- Compact with less weight for easy transporting to the jobsite
- Engineered for faster, easier blade changes
- Low noise (83dB) for operator comfort
- 4-post design and diagonal cross supports for stability
- Large table extensions to support the workpiece
- Compact and lightweight for easy transporting to the job site
- Fastest and easiest blade change system on the market; uses disposable double edge blades
- Quietest (83dB) planer in its class
5. POWERTEC PL1252 15 Amp 2-Blade Benchtop Thick
- FUNCTION: This portable thickness planer serves as an essential tool and workhorse for a wide range of professional and DIY woodworking projects – specifically designed to repurpose wood (old, weathered and worn wood), while giving it an extraordinarily smooth finish
- EFFECTIVE: Has a heavy duty, anti-wobble base that’s ultra sturdy – providing a non-marring benchtop planer surface that will support an assortment of plane boards up to 12.5” wide and 6” thick
- POWERFUL: Combines an impressive 15 amp motor with an innovative 2 blade cutting system that delivers deep cuts into your hard woods (raw oak, pallet wood, walnut lumber) and more
- QUICK: A stainless steel precision cutter head allows this planer to deliver over 18,800 cuts per minute with a 9,400 RPM
- PRODUCT WARRANTY: Includes a 1 year limited manufacturer warranty for quality assurance
Best portable thickness planer Buying guide
Portable thickness planers are a great way to cut precise depth with minimal effort. When choosing the best portable thickness planer for your needs, there are a few key features to consider.
One of the most important features to consider is the size and weight of the planer. If you plan to move the planer from one job to another, it is important to choose one that is lightweight and easy to move. The size of the planer is also important, as it will determine the size of the material you can cut.
Another important feature to consider is the power and speed of the planer. Look for a planer with a powerful motor that can run at a variety of speeds. This will allow you to adjust the speed of the planer to accommodate different materials and tasks.
You should also pay attention to the cutting blades on the planer. Look for a planer with high-quality blades that will provide a precise, clean cut. A planer with replaceable blades is also a good choice, as it will allow you to replace worn blades as they become dull.
Finally, consider the price of the planer. You can find a range of prices for portable thickness planers, so it is important to find one that fits your budget. Keep in mind that higher-priced planers typically have better features and performance.
By considering these key features, you can find the best portable thickness