The best planer with helical cutterhead is a powerful tool that provides an efficient, precise, and clean cut. It is equipped with a helical cutterhead with multiple cutting edges that rotate around a central spindle, allowing it to make accurate, smooth cuts while reducing noise and vibration. This type of planer also reduces tear-out on the edges of boards and provides a better finish. It is ideal for anyone looking for a quality planer that will provide professional results.With so many planer with helical cutterhead brands on the market like Jet, Grizzly Industrial, Byrd Tool, TJATSE, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. JET JWP-15BHH, 15-Inch Planer, Helical Cutter
- Superior Finish & Quieter Cut: Helical cutterhead houses 48 staggered carbide knives that are engineered to align themselves without any adjustment
- Reduced Snipe: Innovative Precision Air Strut System (PASS) provides consistent upward pressure on the cutterhead
- Maximum Control & Support: Heavy-duty, precision-ground cast iron table and four-post design
- Ideal Cut Efficiency: Dual infeed speed control for either 16 or 20 FPM
- JET Red Assurance Guarantee: Backed by JET’s industry-leading five-year warranty against manufacturing defects
2. Grizzly Industrial G0634X 12″ 5 HP Planer/Joi
- Motor: 5 HP, 220V, single-phase, 25A
- Bevel jointing: 0°-45°
- Maximum cut width: 12″
- Maximum cut depth: 1/8″
- Maximum planer stock thickness: 8″
- Cutterhead diameter: 3-1/8″
- Cutterhead speed: 5034 RPM
- Cutterhead type: V-helical, 48 inserts
- Cutterhead insert size: 15 x 15 x 2.5mm
- Planer feed rate: 22 FPM
3. Byrd Tool OEM Shelix cutterhead for Dewalt pl
- This DW735 OEM cutterhead is machined slightly larger to give you a cutterhead that is the same size as the one you are removing. You will need to remove the inserts from the cutterhead prior to install, and then replace them after the cutterhead is in place.
- Staggered, spiral carbide insert configuration provides a shear, rather than straight cut for a smoother finish and quieter operation.
- Helical insert knife configuration breaks up chips, making dust collection easier.
- Replace individual inserts when dull or damaged, rather than having to replace an entire expensive knife blade; comes with 5 replacement inserts.
- Made in the USA!
4. Grizzly Industrial G0940 – 13″ 2 HP Benchtop
- 1″ thick granite table bed
- Adjustable depth stop
- Helical cutterhead with 30 indexable carbide inserts
- 13″ wide planing capacity
- Dual return rollers
- Convenient grab handles for mobility
- 4″ dust port adapter
5. Upgraded Helical Cutterhead for 13″ DeWalt Pl
- UPGRADED CUTTERHEAD-The TJATSE 13″ Helical Cutterhead is designed to replace the straight knife cutterhead on the DeWalt DW735 and DW735X Planers. Takes the performance of your Dewalt planer to the next level and cuts smoothly through your wood planing projects with ease.
- CUT IMPROVEMENT-Helical cutter head features smaller which contact the wood and an angle shearing the fibers rather than tearing at them, the cutting performance is excellent and the slight bit of snipe that was getting with the straight knives is completely gone, the wood surface would be so much smoother.
- AMAZING NOISE REDUCTION-The biggest difference of helical cutterhead is the noise reduction, the section cutting process makes the wood chips very fine, then the chip removal is easier. Energy saving and power saving, while reducing tear out more effectively than conventional straight-knife cutterheads.
- LONG-TERM COST SAVING-56 Indexable carbide inserts included to produce a superior finish. Indexable carbide inserts are less prone to nicks and cracks over conventional HSS knives and 10 times longer than. If an insert dulls or gets nicked, simply rotate it to expose a new sharp edge or easily replaced, No need to take out all the blades, reduces shop down-time and cost saving.
- BRAND QUALITY WARRANTY-Package included 1 x 13” helical cutterhead; 56 x carbide inserts; 56 x screws, 1x screw driver, one-year warranty which assures the unit is free from factory defects. The TJATSE Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are all days online for help.
Best planer with helical cutterhead Buying guide
When shopping for a planer with a helical cutterhead, there are a few factors to consider. First, consider the size of the planer. A larger planer may have more features, but it may also be more expensive. Additionally, look for a planer that has a dust collection system. This will help keep your workspace clean and free of debris. Another important factor to consider is the number of helical cutters that the planer has. The more cutters the smoother the cut, so look for a planer with as many as possible. Additionally, make sure that the planer you choose is adjustable. This will allow you to adjust the thickness of the wood you are cutting. Finally, consider the price. Look for a planer that is within your budget, but also offers the features you need.