The best planer for a home shop is one that offers the most versatility and precision for the intended application. It should be able to handle a variety of tasks from ripping and crosscutting, to making fine adjustments. It should also be easy to use and maintain, while providing maximum efficiency and accuracy. A good planer should also be reasonably priced and allow for easy storage.With so many planer for home shop brands on the market like Shop Fox, Shopsmith, Inc., DEWALT, WEN, it can be tough to know which one is right for you. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
1. Shop Fox W1877 13″ Portable Planer with Spira
- Motor: 2HP, 120V, single-phase, 15A
- Maximum stock width: 13 in.
- Maximum stock thickness: 6 in.
- Maximum cutting depth: 1/8 in.
- Cutterhead type: spiral-style with 26 inserts
- Cutterhead speed: 10,000 RPM
- Feed rate: 26 FPM
- Table size with extensions: 13 in. x 33-1/4 in.
- Dust port size: 4 in. with 2-1/2 in. adapter included
- Carbide insert size: 14mm x 14mm x 2mm
2. Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone
- Click on the image for description.
3. Shop Fox W1863-15″ 3 HP Planer with Helical C
- Helical cutterhead with triple V-belt drive
- 2-speed chain-driven automatic feed rollers
- Hardened anti-kickback fingers
- Precision-ground cast-iron table and extension wings
- Locking table
4. DEWALT Thickness Planer, 13-inch 3 Knife for
- Purchase includes one stationary 13″ Planer, in/out feed tables with fasteners (attached to the base of the Planer base), extra blades and dust hose adapter. Stand is not included.
- Three knife cutter head of the thickness planer delivers 30% longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier
- Two-speed gear box of the wood planer allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Fan-assisted chip ejection vacuums chip off of the cutter head and exhausts them out of the machine
- 19-3/4-inch cast aluminum base is 2 times more rigid than a standard 10-inch base and folding tables
- Automatic carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe without the need for manual engagement by the user
- Material removal gauge and extra large thickness scale deliver accurate cuts with every pass
- Extra large turret depth-stop allows users to return to most frequently used thicknesses with ease
- Includes infeed and outfeed tables and an extra set of knives
5. WEN PL1326 15-Amp 13-Inch Spiral Benchtop Thi
- Spiral cutterhead utilizes 26 staggered and rotatable HSS blades for a clean, smooth finish
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 13 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 10,000 RPM at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
Best planer for home shop Buying guide
When it comes to finding the best planer for your home shop, there are a few key features to consider. The most important factor is the size of the planer. You’ll want to ensure that the planer you choose can handle the size of the projects you plan to work on. You’ll also want to look for a planer with a motor that is powerful enough to handle the type of material that you’ll be working with. In addition, consider the type of blade the planer uses and make sure it is replaceable if necessary. Finally, look for a planer that is easy to use, has a dust collection system, and is adjustable for different materials. With these features in mind, you can make an informed decision and purchase the best planer for your home shop.